Bateria and Dance Workshops
The Brighton School of Samba is the first and only samba school in the South East. We have dedicated sessions for absolute beginners in both bateria (drumming) and dance. We also put on regular workshops with professionals from Brasil and the UK samba scene, bringing true authenticity and the highest standards to our samba and performances. For session dates and upcoming events, visit our Calendar page. More details on both the Bateria and Dance sessions are below.
Come and join our bateria workshops and learn samba drumming and percussion. All ages and abilities are welcome, so no experience is necessary, and there are beginners courses as well as rehearsals for beginners and regular/intermediate players. There's no need to book in advance, just come along to try it out. Costs and venue information is on the right. You can also join as a member and play on parade with the School.
All sticks and instruments are provided at our workshops, but if you have your own instrument you are welcome to bring it along.
Here are some comments about the BSS Bateria sessions:-
- Just an amazing sound and I was part of making it!
- I was so nervous, had never touched a drum, but the bateria directors reassured me and gave me the confidence to keep trying. I absolutely love it.
- I was made to feel so welcome by everyone, BSS has a real community feel to it. I have recommended it to my friends and they have now joined as well.
- I did three rehearsals and before I knew it I was out on parade - an incredible experience, I have never looked back.
- I was made to feel a valued member of the bateria from day one, such a friendly atmosphere.
- I love the fact I can literally just turn up when family/work life allows and pay as I go, no monthly subscription or advance booking. There is no pressure to go every week, I just want to!
Brighton School of Samba's bateria sessions are led by our Bateria Director, Malcolm Duffitt, with guest instructors on occasion.
If drumming is not your thing, then why not come along to our regular dance workshops and learn a variety of Brasilian dance steps and techniques, as well as choreography for our forthcoming performances. All ages and abilities are welcome and no experience is necessary, just a passion for dance and samba. Participation in our classes and performances are open to both men and women so come along to a session to try it out, or join as a member and perform on parade with the School.
We have dedicated beginner/improver sessions for those with little or no previous experience, and sessions for improvers and those who are ready to progress to the next level. If you have some experience but are unsure of which level you are at, come along to any session and chat with any of our dance leads for guidance.
Here are some comments about the BSS Dance sessions:-
- It was so energetic, so powerful, I just had to dance even though it was so new to me
- What I get from the sessions is absolutely priceless!
- The dance lead is so patient with me, showing me how to get each move. I really feel that I am achieving so much more than I ever dreamed of
- It looked so amazing, the music and the costumes really appealed, so I figured I would try it and see how it went and now I can't stop. I LOVE SAMBA!!!!
- I am so impressed by the level of teaching - and passion - that everyone involved puts in, thank you x
- Such a friendly group of people, I was made to feel instantly welcome and part of the group. I can't wait for my first performance
Brighton School of Samba dance sessions are led by some of the UK's finest samba dance teachers and performers. Our roster of teachers are headed up by Rosaria Gracia
Guest and Former Bateria Instructors
Since our inception, we have held bateria workshops with a number of inspiring and experienced guest instructors from both the UK and Rio, the home of samba. Guest instructors working with the bateria include:
- Gez Hebburn (Mestre de Bateria G.R.E.S. Cidade Brilhante 2007-2012)
- Jonas d'Oliveira (Mestre, G.R.E.S. Mocidade Independente de Padre Miguel, Rio de Janeiro)
- Nana Zeh (Tamborim, G.R.E.S. Mocidade Independente de Padre Miguel, Rio de Janeiro)
- Fred Turuka (Mestre, G.R.E.S. Unidos de Londres - London School of Samba)
- Pat Power (Mestre, Barulho)
- Karen Brownlie (Tamborim, G.R.E.S. Unidos de Londres - London School of Samba & b-loco)
- Seyi Ajeigbe (Verde Vai)
- Rob Mair (Verde Vai, Paraiso)
- Leo Rooke (Verde Vai)
Guest and Former Dance Instructors
- Cassandra Tomaz (G.R.E.S. Unidos de Londres - London School of Samba)
- Samara Reis(G.R.E.S. Unidos de Londres - London School of Samba)
- Mel Hendricks
- Carlinhos de Salgueiro (G.R.E.S. Academicos do Salgueiro, Brazil)
- Marta Scott (G.R.E.S. Cidade Brilhante)
- Kamilla Kress (G.R.E.S. Cidade Brilhante)
- Leandro Brizad (G.R.E.S. Cidade Brilhante)
- Monica Ribeiro (Vocalist, Tudo Bem! Brighton)
- Pedro Martin (Cavaquinho, Tudo Bem! Brighton)
- Rafael Curumin (Cavaquinho, Maracatu Cruzeiro do Sul, Brighton)
The bateria session introduces the instruments and techniques. Bateria beginner sessions from 6.00-7.00pm. Fee £6.00 members, £7.50 non-members, Under 16s £4.50
Bateria Main session
The bateria main session rehearses the material for upcoming performances. Bateria sessions are from 7.00-9.00pm. Fee £6.00 members, £7.50 non-members, Under 16s £4.50
Members can take part in a dance session and the bateria main session. Fee £12.50
Carlton Hill School
Carlton Hill, Brighton BN2 9HS
Open Space Studios
Unit 7, Rear of 64 Davigdor Road
Hove, BN3 1RF
Please Note: Venues may be subject to change.